Saturday, February 17, 2018

"Seeing the Unseen" Book Review

        
SEEING THE UNSEEN: A 90-DAY DEVOTIONAL TO SET YOUR MIND ON ETERNITY
by Randy Alcorn
 

http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/9780735290792?width=450&alt=no_cover_b4b.gif 

Hello to the people of the Internet! I am back with another book review, and this time it's a book by Randy Alcorn from Eternal Perspective Ministries. One of his books that I absolutely love is called Safely Home - maybe one day I'll do a review on it. And right now, I'm in the middle of Lord Foulgrin's Letters, which is a modern day rendition of C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters. Very insightful!!!

Okay, on to the review....

This book is a tiny little thing, small enough to fit into my purse (for you technical people, the actual dimensions are 5 x 7-1/4, 208 pages if anyone was wondering). Each day's devotional is one page (front and back). It's the perfect length to give you just enough to think about throughout the day. 

The first side of the page has the devotional, written by Mr. Alcorn. The other side has two Bible passages under the heading "Perspectives from God's Word," and two quotes under the heading "Perspectives from God's People." Both of these sections relate to the topic discussed in the devotional (obviously). 

Some of the titles of the daily devotionals include "Breaking Our Addiction to Materialism," "Holiness and Happiness Together," "He is Always Sovereign," "Forgiveness Is a Choice," and "Grasping Our Need for Grace." These are just a few of the 90 days' topics...

I love quotes and I love related Bible verses, so this part is perfect. Quotes included come from people such as John Piper, Martin Luther, Hudson Taylor, George Mueller, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Spurgeon. Bible passages range from 1-4 (or so) verses.

In closing, Seeing the Unseen is a great supplement to one's Bible study and devotion time. I use it in my morning devotion time. Since each day is short, it's a perfect tool to use with the Bible reading plan I'm using this year. 

Now for the ratings:

Would I recommend this book to a friend? Probably - I like several of Randy Alcorn's books and this one is no exception. The length and content is great...

How many stars would I give this book? 4.5

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment